a place just beyond...
Wolves howling. Leaves rustling. Water splashing. Heed the call of nature and escape to South Algonquin - your authentic, incomparable, all-season wilderness destination just a few hours north of Toronto.
From cotton-candy sunsets at our beaches, to white water bubbling down rivers, massive ice walls on granite outcrops, and tree-lined emerald horizons across shimmering lakes, South Algonquin’s secret places will tug at your heart long after you leave.
Tourism for Good
From here or away, old or young, Canadian or international, our business ambassadors believe everyone can help communities thrive. We support safe, inclusive, regenerative tourism relationships throughout our township.
Build Traditions & Lasting Memories
When was the last time you stepped away from the glow of your phone? Or, tried a little “off-the-grid” living? In South Algonquin, our rhythm of life is different. Guided more by the changing seasons, the rise and fall of the sun and moon, and the unexpected, awe-inspiring presence of natural wonders, we treasure what each unique day has to offer and care deeply about the place we call home. Come experience a different way of living in Ontario’s hinterland.
Our promise to you? We’re off the beaten path, but not beyond your reach.
From Unexpected Moments to Endless Possibilities
Experience a world beyond what you already know
Discover travel ideas for your next South Algonquin getaway
See What's Happening
Stay connected and explore our upcoming events
- Wed, Oct 05Lake Saint PeterOct 05, 5:00 p.m. – Oct 06, 9:00 p.m.Lake Saint Peter, ON-523, Lake Saint Peter, ON K0L 2K0, CanadaGRAND OPENING! Madawaska Lodge Restaurant - October 5, 2022. Whether you would like a quick snack on the run or a sit down meal to socialize with friends and family this is the place. Come and enjoy a delicious meal in a relaxing atmosphere.
- Fri, Oct 21Bongopix TavernOct 21, 8:00 a.m. – Oct 23, 5:00 p.m.Bongopix Tavern, Galeairy Lake Rd, Whitney, ON K0J 2M0, CanadaCountless photographers travel through Highway 60 in search of wildlife, purely dark skies, and untamed landscapes. We're a solid community of passionate artists and nature enthusiasts. But rarely do we meet face to face. HOWL is meant to connect us crazy nature lovers together for a weekend.
- Nightly from June to ThanksgivingWhitneyNightly from June to ThanksgivingWhitney, 29924 ON-60, Whitney, ON K0J 2M0, CanadaBlast off into the furthest galaxies, see the Perseid Meteor shower and learn more about a topic that has fascinated humans across the ages - space! Check out some of South Algonquin's excellent stargazing locations, equipped with parking, restroom facilities and excellent night skies.
- Back in 2023!!Camp BongopixBack in 2023!!Camp BongopixThe purpose of the Whitney Blackfly Festival is simple: to celebrate quality live music during a special time of year. The spirit of our gathering is to harness positive energy during a time when many are tempted to feel negative about nature because of the dreaded blackfly swarms.
- May 15, 2022OnlineMay 15, 2022OnlineA zine is a homemade publication devoted to specialized and unconventional subject matter. Our community zine “One Fine Day” is a quirky, eclectic collection of content paying tribute to everything South Algonquin from the early days to the present, written by and for the people of this community.